Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Counter-Clockwise

I had an interesting discussion with Ian yesterday.  We were planning out some various life events (yup, we're both planners) and I was trying to explain where different things would happen in the year, using a clock.  See, it makes sense... 12 months, 12 hours...  However, it was all backwards, because the spring is always to the left in my mind, and fall is to the right, because I think counter-clockwise.  Ian, to my utter surprise, had absolutely NO IDEA what I was talking about.  I tried again, drawing a circle diagram, with the months going around.


Whenever I think of something happening in the year, I visualize a circle, and place that event on the circle.  Even when I count months, I count around the circle.  ALWAYS.

Ian looked at me like I was crazy, and then proceeded to explain that he sees time as a line.  Yup!  A straight line that keeps going, since events never exactly repeat themselves again the same way.

But, what about the seasons, and holidays?  Nope, still a line.

Silly engineer.  Hah!

He also explained how he doesn't think about the names of the month, as much as what number they are.  Such as, May is month 5, September is month 9, etc.  And then he told me something that really surprised me.  He dreams in NUMBERS! 

Just goes to show that we're all a little different.  Neat!

And, for your viewing pleasure, here's some new pictures of Willow!

Well, it was supposed to be tummy time...
 Getting reading to go for a walk.
 She recently started batting the hanging animals!
'Night!

3 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean about thinking counter clockwise! I do the exact same thing, how funny. It definitely makes sense to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how chubby her cheeks are! What a cutie.

    Interesting that you think of time in a circle. I do too... but my year is clockwise. Wonder why? And dad dreams in concepts... no visuals. Another engineer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at those chubby cheeks! Adorable!

    Okay, for the record, I think of time on a line, but I'm with you Karin that spring is on the left and fall is on the right. (Although maybe that's because it's summer right now?)

    Charity

    ReplyDelete